Oh Celine...yes my mom and I got to spend the evening with Celine Dion as she belted out all of our favorite ballads. I have to say, I thought I was over my Celine Dion phase several years ago but it may be stirred up once again...I, along with every other girl on the planet, was a huge fan of Celine growing up (come on, be honest, you loved My Heart Will Go On...and always will...) and my mom and I have always wanted to see her live. So she surprised me with tickets to see her in San Antonio last Christmas, thinking the concert was in January of '08 and then she realized the day before Christmas that the concert was actually in '09. So we counted down for a year!! But it was well worth the wait. She may not be my favorite style of music, but I think anyone who can hear has to appreciate the talent packed into that woman- and she is insanely talented. I would have to constantly remind myself I wasn't listening to a CD. She didn't hit a single bad note and seriously blew me away...and she made me feel better about the way I dance. If you've never seen her sweet moves you should youtube one of her performances.
My mom and I had such a great time...she always makes things fun. I'm grateful to have a mom that I enjoy hanging out with and that she enjoys her kids and invests so much in me and my sister. There was a really sweet moment for both of us when she leaned over and said something about how crazy it is that God gave her that voice, yet she is singing her whole life for nothing...so my mom prayed for her to know Jesus' salvation. I love my mom. I love that she prays and is so alert in Jesus, if that makes sense. That same thought hit me when I saw Sheryl Crow (yes, I am a Sheryl fan and that was also a great concert!). I left that concert and last night's having never been more grateful that I have a purpose behind every word I will ever sing...a Jesus that loves and saves; it was good to be reminded of that thought (and truth) again.
I can't imagine spending my whole life without Jesus behind and in it. I can't imagine never singing about anything greater than people and things. I'm grateful for the ways Jesus uses me, especially in leading worship. There is truly nothing like it- I can't really explain it and it may sound cheesy, but it just feels like home. I love singing to Him and about Him. It is beautiful to hear a room full of women loving Jesus with the voices He's created. I'm grateful to be involved in ministry in that way. A dear friend once told me to hold it loosely because God may direct differently as I keep walking, and things may not always work out like I picture it...that's some of the best advice I've ever gotten and taught me to hold loosely to it and be ready and willing for whatever God leads me to do, but to also appreciate the times I do get to lead and that we serve a God who chooses to use His creation to display His character.
Who knew a night with Celine would stir those things in me? I mean she is a pretty powerful singer :)
Oh Ashley this is great! And I think I remember you looking at tickets for this show at Anna's old house last January. Wow we barely knew each other then... gotta love how things change!
ReplyDeletegirl, i want one of those journals from the link on the side of your blog. They are beautiful, how did you find them?
ReplyDeletemiss ya.